- Too Faced plans to rerelease Christmas-themed makeup from its 2018 holiday collection this July.
- The relaunch includes Too Faced’s Gingerbread Spice Eye-Shadow Palette, as well as the Gingerbread Man and Gingerbread Girl Melted Matte Lipsticks.
- TrendMood, a blog that tracks new makeup releases, took to Instagram on Monday to share news of the launch, which was later confirmed by Too Faced.
- Some people are questioning why the brand is selling holiday-themed products in the summer. Others believe Too Faced could be trying to get rid of old makeup.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Too Faced is the latest beauty brand to face backlash in response to a makeup launch.
On Monday, TrendMood, a blog that tracks new makeup releases, said that Too Faced plans to rerelease an eye-shadow palette from its 2018 holiday collection in July. Too Faced later confirmed the news on Instagram, and said it will rerelease its Gingerbread Spice Eye-Shadow Palette, as well as two shades of its Melted Matte Lipsticks.
The products were originally sold in 2018 as part of the brand’s annual holiday collection, and featured Christmas-themed packaging and gingerbread scents. People online are now questioning the brand’s intentions.
TrendMood and Too Faced shared Instagram posts about the launch on Monday
In its post, TrendMood described the makeup as being “one of the most-wanted eye-shadow palettes” from last year.
“Look who is making a comeback!!” TrendMood wrote on Instagram.
Hours later, Too Faced shared a post of its own and confirmed the news to fans.
“Christmas came early this year, Babe,” Too Faced wrote on Instagram. “Your Gingerbread faves are BACK: Gingerbread Spice Eye-Shadow Palette, Gingerbread Man and Gingerbread Girl Melted Matte Lipsticks! Coming this month!”
People aren’t convinced the makeup is popular enough to warrant a second release of the collection
In the comments section under TrendMood’s Instagram post, many wondered whether the eye-shadow palette was really “one of the most-wanted” makeup products from the 2018 holiday season as the caption said.
“Who is asking for this?” one Instagram user wrote.
“Wow, now they really have run out of ideas if they are bringing this back in summer,” another person replied to TrendMood.
“Has Too Faced ever given their customers what they ask for?” an Instagram user asked. “Nope. Christmas palettes in July and dozens of neutral palettes with the same, tired shades when we want color. Re-releasing limited-edition palettes we all forgot about. It’s disappointing.”
Others accused the brand of selling old makeup.
“I hope this is not old stock that they are trying to let go of,” one person wrote on Instagram.
“Well if [Too Faced] unexpectedly found some stock in a warehouse, that might explain why they are suddenly having it available again,” another Instagram user wrote.
People are also upset that the brand is seemingly planning to rerelease a product that was meant to be a limited-edition item.
“Limited edition doesn’t mean anything anymore,” one person commented on TrendMood’s post.
“I don’t know why I even buy limited-edition makeup anymore since it ALWAYS comes back,” another person wrote.
“So glad I got it when it was ‘Limited Edition,'” someone said on Instagram.
Still, some people seem excited for a chance to buy the gingerbread-scented products again
On Instagram, many said they couldn’t wait to purchase the collection, which sold out quickly after it was released in 2018.
“Omg this is the best news ever!!” someone said on Instagram. “I totally missed out last time.”
“Didn’t get a chance to get it last time, sooo excited to buy it!” another person said.
Others defended Too Faced against accusations that the brand is selling old makeup.
“Have none of you heard of Christmas in July? I think it’s cute!” one person wrote.
“That’s not old, [the palette] came out during Christmas,” someone said on Instagram. “It hasn’t even been a year. And it’s eyeshadow — shelf life of a powder shadow is pretty long. Not to mention half of the items on the shelves at Sephora could have been sitting there for months and no one would know.”
Too Faced has yet to announce when the collection will go on sale
So far, Too Faced hasn’t confirmed a release date for the gingerbread-themed collection. The gingerbread-scented products are also not seen on the brand’s website. At the time of writing, the Gingerbread Spice Eye-Shadow Palette is sold out on Nordstrom’s website, where it retailed for $49, though it was available earlier in the day.
Representatives for Too Faced did not immediately reply to INSIDER’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- Jaclyn Hill deleted her Twitter and Instagram accounts following backlash against her disastrous lipstick launch
- Jameela Jamil criticized Kim Kardashian’s new body foundation and said she’d rather ‘make peace’ with her stretch marks and eczema than wear it
- YouTuber Jaclyn Hill says she’ll refund every person who bought lipstick from her brand, but some people think the products need to be recalled altogether
- James Charles released his first video in 4 weeks, and it includes references to his explosive feud with beauty YouTuber Tati Westbrook