- Brie Larson appeared on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Wednesday and recalled her experiences filming “Captain Marvel” and “Avengers: Endgame.”
- The actress, who stars as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, said that she filmed “Endgame” before her standalone movie (which was released in March 2019).
- But the end-credits scene that appears in “Captain Marvel,” in which her character meets the Avengers and says, “Where is Fury?” was actually filmed as part of “Endgame.”
- Larson said that she “had no idea what I was doing.” The actress was further puzzled because the script had other parts of dialogue concealed, she filmed the moment alone, and no one would tell her who else was supposed to appear in the scene.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Larson, who reprises her role as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel in “Avengers: Endgame,” appeared on NBC’s “Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” on Wednesday and explained the lengths that Marvel goes through to keep storylines under wraps.
The 29-year-old actress said that she filmed “Avengers: Endgame” before “Captain Marvel,” even though the latter movie was released first. Larson went on to say that she traveled to Atlanta, Georgia to begin shooting immediately after attending the Toronto Film Festival premiere of her movie “Unicorn Store” in 2017. They didn’t have a script yet for “Captain Marvel,” and Larson said that she “had no idea what I was doing.”
“I arrived and they gave me a piece of paper that was a full page of dialogue and action, but all of it was redacted except for my one line,” the actress recalled to Fallon, referring to the one line she says in the “Captain Marvel” end-credits scene.
During that moment, Captain Marvel comes face-to-face with the remaining Avengers (Captain America/Steve Rogers, Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff, The Hulk/Bruce Banner, and War Machine/Rhodey) and asks, “Where is Fury?”
Even though the scene ended up being added to the end of “Captain Marvel,” which is set in the ’90s and shows how Carol and Nick Fury met, Larson was under the impression that it was part of “Endgame.” She went on to say that she asked people on the hair and makeup teams who else would be filming the scene with her, but they didn’t spill any details.
“I didn’t know that was the tag for ‘Captain Marvel,'” Larson said. “I didn’t know what that was that we were shooting.”
In addition, Larson said that she filmed that scene alone with a green screen, minus the actors that appear in the final version. She said that as she was about to film her one line, she started to wonder more about the context of the scene.
“They whip-panned over to me and I was like, ‘But where is he [Nick Fury] actually? Is he in the room? What room am I in? Is he in the other room?” Larson continued.
According to the actress, all they told her about Fury (who turned to dust in the end-credits scene of “Avengers: Infinity War”) was that he was “very gone.” Based on that, she assumed that the character was dead.
Larson didn’t finally understand the context of the scene until after “Captain Marvel” was finally released in March 2019 and she attended the premiere.
“Endgame” being filmed prior to “Captain Marvel” also explains why Larson’s character has contrasting looks in both films. In the trailers and teasers for “Endgame,” Carol appears to wear more makeup and her hair looks slightly different.
During a recent interview as part of the film’s press tour, co-director Joe Russo said that the “Avengers” stars provided input on their characters’ appearances.
“This was Brie’s first time playing the character ever,” Russo said, according to ComicBook.com. “First day on set as the character ever. And those are the choices that she and her hair and makeup team made.”
He added: “I think as it approached the film [“Captain Marvel”], she started to think more about the character, she made other creative choices. But everyone should be given the right to have the freedom to make whatever creative choices they want to make. And those are the ones that she made that day with us.”
Watch the video below.
- Read more about Brie Larson:
- Samuel L. Jackson gave ‘Star Wars’ mega-fan Brie Larson Mace Windu’s lightsaber while she was filming ‘Captain Marvel’
- Brie Larson had the best response when ‘Avengers’ costar Scarlett Johansson reminded her they worked together on a movie 6 years ago
- Mark Ruffalo had a priceless reaction after finding out that he and ‘Avengers’ costar Brie Larson were both in ’13 Going on 30′ 15 years ago