- On Monday, YouTubers Cole and Sav uploaded a video entitled “We Have To Give Our Puppy Away… Saying Goodbye Forever,” which is exactly what it sounds like.
- The 14-minute vlog was an apparent April Fools’ Day prank on their 6-year-old daughter, Everleigh.
- Everleigh was devastated when her parents said they were giving away their dog, Carl.
- They told her it was a joke. Later in the video, the 6-year-old got her “revenge” by pranking her parents back.
- Online, people are saying that the prank went too far.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
YouTube culture, for the uninitiated, continues to be a lot. The most recent controversy comes by way of Cole and Savanna LaBrant, two popular vloggers who share a channel called The LaBrant Fam.
On Monday, April Fools’ Day, they uploaded a video their channel entitled “We Have To Give Our Puppy Away… Saying Goodbye Forever,” which caused pushback online — but not because of the couple’s choice to get rid of their dog. The 14-minute vlog starts off like any other: The family, Cole, Sav, and their daughters Everleigh, 6, and 2-month-old Posie are having a “lazy Sunday” at home.
About halfway through the video, Cole tells the camera they’ve been having a lighthearted familial prank war with each other. But then, suddenly, things take a tonal shift.
The vlog pans to 6-year-old Everleigh facedown on the couch. Apparently, off-camera, they had told Everleigh that they were giving away their dog, Carl.
“Ev, do you wanna talk? Are you ok?” Cole asks his daughter. She shakes her head no.
“Basically, we’re giving Carl away to somebody else because we feel like we can’t take good enough care of him at our house,” Sav says, as her 6-year old daughter clutches the dog. “We feel like we’re always filming or at dance competitions all day or we’re busy doing stuff.”
Sav also said they were giving the dog away because he “poos and pees” in the house when left unattended. For these reasons, Sav said they feel that there’s “a better home for him.”
Cole says that his daughter can “give him away to whoever she wants.” But when he asks who she plans to give the dog to, Everleigh shrugs. Then he asks Everleigh if she will miss Carl. Sav, making eye contact with the camera, begins to smile and even laugh a little.
Finally, they reveal that it was an elaborate April Fools’ Day prank. Everleigh, who appeared visibly uncomfortable and distraught the whole time, begins to sob.
“Too far?” Cole asks the vlog camera.
According to people online, yes. Many took issue with the vloggers uploading the traumatic video at all. Cole and Sav have since disabled comments on the video.
Cole and Sav said in the video that they only played the prank because they didn’t think Everleigh wouldn’t believe them.
“Everleigh’s not gullible at all, and she knows that we’re always tricking each other,” Cole said. “And she knows that we’ve been April Fools’-ing each other all day long.”
He concludes that now “Ev will super-love Carl” and even suggests they might get a tiny, black dog in the future.
The last two minutes of three video are “Everleigh’s revenge” in which she pranks her dad by putting mustard in his ice cream.
Ah, sweet, sweet family content.
- Read more:
- People are furious over a ‘The World Is Ours’ Discovery promo that features almost exclusively men
- Justin Bieber tried to trick everyone into thinking Hailey Bieber was pregnant using a sonogram he found online
- Tourists in Iceland scrambled to escape after a glacier cracked and caused an enormous wave